Experts agree that older adults benefit immensely from engaging in moderate exercise and strength training multiple times each week. Regular aerobic activity and muscle-strengthening exercises can prevent health problems and contribute to maintaining independence. A surefire way to encourage maximal engagement in regular exercise is to choose an assisted living facility with on-site fitness classes for seniors. Summer’s Landing has a wealth of regular classes and a dietician-approved daily menu for residents which makes staying healthy a breeze. We are located in lovely Lynn Haven. Learn more about our assisted living services by contacting us today at 833.770.0414.
Senior Health: Aging with Finesse
When planning for the later years of life, an often overlooked yet incredibly important aspect to consider is maintaining fitness. Exercise is a crucial component of aging well, and it is also a proven mood booster. Senior health is about so much more than taking meds or going to the doctor. Maintaining a healthy balanced diet and a full-body movement practice is key to aging with finesse and feeling your best. Luckily there are a wealth of activities available to enjoy on your own or in the community.
Fitness Activities That Are Safe for Seniors
If you’re already accustomed to maintaining an active lifestyle, it may feel discouraging when regular activities get harder to maintain. In this case, it can be beneficial to simply adjust your approach or take up a new low-impact activity such as:
- Dance – Dancing is a rigorous whole body workout that can be adjusted to be as gentle or intense as needed. Taking a dance class is an excellent way to keep motor skills sharp while making new friends.
- Walking – This activity can be enjoyed on your own or with friends. Explore new paths or visit favorite neighborhoods while out on a walk.
Senior Fitness Classes
Never tried an exercise class before? Never fear! Trying a new activity is not only good for the body but contributes to neuroplasticity and a happy brain as well. Fitness classes created for elderly people are an especially good choice if you have mobility concerns or feel uncertain about joining an intergenerational crowd.
Here are some exercise classes that can be safely enjoyed at any age:
- Tai chi – This ancient practice is wonderful for arthritis relief and fall prevention. This gentle and soothing exercise increases mobility and balance by gently tuning cells, nerves, and musculoskeletal systems to work in harmony.
- Yoga – This can increase endurance, flexibility, and strength all at the same time while promoting a sense of calm and well-being. Many yoga classes are created especially for older adults.
- Swimming and water aerobics – These are low impact, high enjoyment ways to tone and strengthen the whole body. The addition of water to any exercise increases resistance (muscle building) while lessening the impact of exercise on tender joints. This is a powerful combination whether you just want to maintain well-being or are coping with mobility challenges.
Remember, when exercising, pain is never the goal. Modify as needed, and communicate with your class instructor. They are there to facilitate the best exercise experience possible.
Stay Fit at Summer’s Landing
Summer’s Landing offers a range of services for seniors, including fitness classes. Here, you can safely enjoy a variety of activities no matter the type of assistance you require at present or need in the future. Our mindful balance of amenities and affordability make it possible to live well, stay fit, and feel your best.
Contact Summer’s Landing at 833.770.0414 to learn more about our outstanding fitness options and assisted living services.