For many seniors in assisted living communities, the holidays can be bittersweet. Spending time apart from loved ones during these special days can be a challenge. Residents of assisted living communities enjoy a full spectrum of rewarding activities. An all-inclusive assisted living program with maintenance-free shelter, regular guided exercise opportunities, and nourishing meals is the perfect place to rediscover the joys of holiday fun. Receiving assistance with medication, bathing, and transportation makes it easy to enjoy holiday activities like Thanksgiving-themed arts and crafts in a stress-free environment.
No matter how you like to celebrate the holidays, Summer’s Landing will enhance the experience. We are located in lovely Lynn Haven, FL, close to all that the Panama City area has to offer. Contact us today at 850.265.9829 to learn more about assisted living in our community.
Seasonal Senior Activities to Bring Thanksgiving to Life
Whether you like to spend Thanksgiving in the company of loved ones in a bustling environment or prefer more intimate celebrations, assisted living can enhance the experience. For example, spending time with people outside of your age group has a multitude of health benefits and can be a lot of fun. Whether partaking in an activity together or simply enjoying a conversation, intergenerational gatherings are an incredible opportunity to cultivate open-mindedness. Organizing a grandchildren’s visit connecting with students at a local school can be a great way to infuse the holidays with intergenerational pizazz.
Thanksgiving can also be an ideal time to break out the puzzles and games. Many seniors have fond memories of playing games with loved ones on important holidays, and Thanksgiving is no exception.
Planning holiday-themed activities is an excellent way to stay connected to seasonal themes, build community, and promote fun. Here are a few ideas to get the Thanksgiving holiday off to a festive start:
- Themed scavenger hunt – A well-planned scavenger hunt requires problem-solving, improves dexterity, grounds participants, in reality, builds community, and can be a lot of fun. Organizing teams is a great way to ensure that everyone can participate while accommodating different ability levels.
- Watch Thanksgiving movies and television specials – Thanksgiving Day parades are always a worthwhile festive experience. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is the most classic. Gathering together for holiday movies can also be a great way to kick off the holiday season.
- Attend a show – Be it ballet, a jazz ensemble, comedy, or a children’s school program, holiday shows can define the season and steep us in good cheer.
Holiday Arts and Crafts
Don’t forget about art—enjoying crafts around the holidays bolsters seasonal spirits. Here are a few suggestions:
- Handmade cards – Making homemade holiday cards is not only a fun and creative pastime, it can bring incredible joy to the folks you are most thankful for. It’s also a great way to use old magazines and calendars with interesting pictures. Multiply the joy by making cards with visitors (especially youngsters) to exchange or mail later.
- Decorate the space – String popcorn garlands, cut out or color paper leaves, make a diorama. Decorating for the holidays to a soundtrack of festive music is a wonderful way to get in the holiday spirit.
- Set up a gratitude board – Provide precut paper leaves and invite residents and staff to contribute phrases, names, people, and things that they feel grateful for.
Enjoy Thanksgiving at Summer’s Landing
At Summer’s Landing, residents enjoy a variety of activities all year round, including during the holidays. No matter the type of assistance you require at present or need in the future, our assisted living program can meet your needs. Summer’s Landing offers a family-oriented environment for seniors who need a little extra assistance. We’re here to grow with you. Make this Thanksgiving extra special by joining us.
Contact Summer’s Landing at 850.265.9829 today to learn more about our outstanding assisted living services.