Feeling blue during the holidays is more common than you might think, especially as individuals grow into their elder years and accumulate decades of memories associated with this time. Participating in senior activities for the holidays is an effective path through the blues to the brighter prospect of enjoying all that the season has to offer.
Summer’s Landing is the perfect place to find community this holiday season. We have years of experience in creating a cozy home for the holidays and in facilitating senior activities for enjoyable holidays. Contact us today at 850.265.9829 to learn more.
Senior Activities to Brighten the Holidays
Having a host of inspiring activities to choose from can make all the difference when it comes to brightening the holidays. Here are some holiday activities to try whether you’re craving a solo arrangement or a group experience:
- Volunteer. Whether it’s writing cards for orphaned children, sewing afghans for people experiencing homelessness, or serving meals at a local soup kitchen: volunteering to share your time, talent, and resources (not just money) with other folks is a surefire way to get out of your own head, and these are just a few of the options available.
- Decorate your space. Even adding just a touch of tinsel can lift the mood tremendously. It doesn’t have to be a major operation. Choose meaningful items in colors and textures that please you and that bring a smile to your face.
- Host a holiday movie night. If you like, make it a social event and invite friends to bring their favorite snacks and films.
- Take a holiday lights tour. Driving around looking at outrageous and austere decorative displays can be a very whimsical holiday activity for seniors and souls of any age.
- Christmas caroling. This is a social activity for certain. Gather together whoever will join up and engage in an evening, morning, or afternoon of caroling. It doesn’t matter whether or not you think you can sing, the point is to sound a resounding yawp of holiday spirit.
- Attend a church service. No matter the faith, attending a church service, especially one with music, can be a sweet rejuvenating balm for tired holiday souls.
- Give a gift. Whether you make it or buy it, and no matter its size, the act of simply giving a gift to someone that you care about lifts the spirits.
Banishing Holiday Depression
Banishing holiday depression is often about making a way through it rather than trying to avoid it. Holiday activities for seniors offer the opportunity to engage the body and the mind in a gentle way. Keeping up with holiday traditions can be a stimulating way to the going through it run in the background while providing a stimulating activity that keeps us from spiraling down unfortunate rabbit holes.
Holiday depression can be a serious matter and it is as important as ever at this time of year to tend to mind, body, and spirit with care. Participating in senior activities for the holidays is a great way to start, and is effective for banishing numerous cases of holiday depression. However, if holiday depression escalates to intense, persistent, or overwhelming emotions, reach out to a professional or trusted friend immediately.
Contact Summer’s Landing to Learn More
Summer’s Landing is here to be your home for the holidays. We have accommodations to suit every budget, including very affordable jack-n-jill rooms, and we prepare delectable dietician-approved meals that will satisfy any holiday feast cravings. Our facilities are festive, we have a wealth of senior activities to suit any ability, temperament, or preference, and we’d love to brighten your holiday season. Reach out to the caring professionals of Summers Landing today at 850.265.9829 to learn more.