For many people, the holidays are a much-anticipated opportunity to engage in festive arts and crafts that brighten the spirits of the makers and those around them. Holiday arts and crafts for seniors can be a seasonal highlight and provide a wellspring of joy that lasts throughout the year.
Summer’s Landing is your home for creative community this holiday season. Our facilities are well equipped and our professional staff loves to facilitate senior arts and crafts activities for the holidays. Contact us today at 850.265.9829 to learn more.
Holiday Crafts for Seniors
Whether or not a person considers themself artistic is irrelevant when it comes to crafting. Holidays crafts are all about the tactile experience and the joy of making something by hand. Many holiday crafts can be consumed or are meant to be ephemeral lasting just long enough to evoke the joyful spirits so resonant in this season.
Here are some senior craft ideas to try solo or with a group:
- Popcorn garland. Making a popcorn garland is a cheap way to add abundance and sheer to holiday decor and requires very few tools, and only a little focus.
- Paper chain. Making a paper chain to count down the days until a particular holiday or event is fun, simple, and a great way to track the days in a season that whizzes past each year. This can be made with any paper that you have on hand and enhanced by writing joyful messages on some of the links. When the inspiring links are encountered, they bring even more joy.
- Holiday light display. All you need is a strand or two of LED holiday lights, and you’re in business. There are infinite ways to drape and dress a holiday light display. Surround beloved photos with a warm glow or coil the strand of lights in a jar to create an impromptu holiday lamp.
- Paper plate turkeys. This one’s a classic, but decidedly fun at any age. They can adorn the table and fly away to be recycled after the feast.
Senior Art Projects to Spice Up the Holidays
For those who are feeling more artistic, there are a wealth of senior art projects perfect for the holidays season. Talent is never a requirement, only a willingness to play.
Here are some exciting senior art project ideas to enjoy this season:
- Create vibrant ornaments with paper mache and some paint. Sculpting and painting in one project is a recipe for pleasant sensory experiences and an abundance of holiday joy.
- Make a wreath. Whether with a kit or from your own collected items and branches, nothing says holidays like a wreath. Consider adorning it with unexpected whimsical objects. When it’s complete, hang it up or give it away as a gift.
- Homemade cards hit the mark every time. Homemade cards can be as simple or intricate as your mood desires. They can be painted, drawn, collaged, and more. You can make one or fifty. And, they can be made on literally any budget.
- Paint, color, or draw a festive scene. Sometimes, slowing down to take in the beauty is just what’s called for. Or, perhaps it’s a matter of calling up memories in the creation of a scene.
Creating a holiday-themed work of art can provide joy in the moment as well as for seasons to come. There is no limit to the imagination.
Contact Summer’s Landing to Learn More
Let Summer’s Landing be your creative community this holiday season. Our facilities are festive and well equipped for an array of senior arts and crafts. Reach out to our seasoned professionals at Summers Landing today at 850.265.9829 to learn more.