Elderly fitness is different from typical fitness because older adults often can’t move or withstand physical pressure the way they did in the past. Activities and exercises for older adults must always be accessible and adjustable for different energy levels, physical conditions, and capacities to follow instructions. For example, exercises can be adapted so they’re executable while sitting or while in a swimming pool.
An excellent assisted living community will have an elderly fitness program that consistently holds activities that improve its residents’ overall health and well-being. If you’re searching for an assisted living community with senior living fitness programs in Florida, reach out to Summer’s Landing today. Call 850.265.9829 or contact our team online.
What Are Senior Living Fitness Programs?
Fitness for seniors is most effective at maintaining physical health and improving cognitive ability when it combines aerobic exercise with strength training. This type of fitness program may be ideal for residents struggling with mild cognitive impairment, as any improvement in their cognitive ability can hold off the development of dementia. Without intervention, 20% of people struggling with mild cognitive impairment will be diagnosed with dementia within a year. The remaining 80% are likely to be diagnosed in the next six years.
With a state-of-the-art fitness center and thoughtfully created fitness programs, an assisted living community can maximize its residents’ quality of life and provide not only a way to maintain physical health and body fitness but also a way to improve cognitive ability.
Why Is Fitness for Seniors Important?
A regular program for fitness is essential in maintaining the overall health of older adults in these ways:
- Prevents bone loss: As people age, they face an increased risk of running into age-related health conditions such as osteoporosis, which is a condition that weakens bones and makes them more susceptible to fractures. Although osteoporosis is often thought of as a women’s disease, it also affects men. Fitness programs for seniors typically include exercises that help to build bone density and improve balance.
- Prevents chronic diseases: Studies show that older adults who maintain an active and fitness-focused routine are less likely to develop chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and arthritis.
- Improves mood: Fitness programs in assisted living communities can improve mental health by reducing anxiety and depression. Studies show that regular exercise can help to improve mood and cognitive function in older adults.
There are more benefits to maintaining physical fitness, which is exactly why a fitness program for seniors is a very important component of what an assisted living community can offer its residents.
When Should You Consider an Assisted Living Community?
Older adults often find it difficult to live alone and may display symptoms of depression while doing so. They may also find it difficult to commute or drive, so they venture out less and less, causing them to feel even more lonely and isolated. If this sounds like you or someone you care about, you should consider moving into an assisted living community.
These communities offer a calm and cozy residential setting and truly helpful services, which can take care of anything from cooking and laundry to medication management and occupational assistance, that allow older adults to function better in their day-to-day lives and focus on contentment and happiness.
In some assisted living communities, medical staff is always available on-site to provide residents with 24-hour care and supervision. Combined with an excellent fitness program, round-the-clock medical care can definitely improve the quality of life of older adults.
Learn More About Summer’s Landing’s Senior Living Fitness Programs
If you’re looking for an assisted living community with senior living fitness programs in Florida, contact Summer’s Landing today. Reach out to our team online or call 850.265.9829.