A sense of community for the elderly is crucial to overall well-being. Some of the younger generations have grown up accustomed to a certain amount of isolation. Technology can provide many types of community and we have adapted a great deal, but for elderly people, it’s imperative to cultivate a sense of community with other people in day-to-day life. Our senior living community at Summers Landing is well established and we are adept and cultivating the sense of community that the elderly need in order to thrive.
Living alone has advantages, but can be especially isolating for the elderly. Summer’s Landing can provide an authentic community while still supporting the independence of seniors. Contact Summers Landing at 850.265.9829 to learn more.
Aging and the Importance of Community Support
The importance of community support increases significantly as individuals pass from middle age to elderhood. Since the aging process is gradual, it’s all too easy to wake up one day and wonder where your once-thriving community support network has disappeared to. Maintaining and cultivating a sense of community can have an overwhelmingly positive effect on general health and well-being overall. This is especially true for elderly people as they begin to give up the luxuries of independence in favor of reliance on others for routine living.
Community support can include but is not limited to:
- Having people to engage in recreational activities with
- Having a ride to run errands
- Mealtime companionship
- Spiritual support such as a church community
- Support in preparing and serving meals
- Support with routine tasks
- Having someone to share the news of the day with
- Having people to check-in and express interest and care on a regular basis
Growing older can offer wonderful opportunities to cultivate a renewed or fresh sense of community. Caring for elderly people and participating in the creation of a strong sense of community does more than just help the elderly, it deeply enriches the community at large.
Joining a Senior Living Community for Community Support
As we age, it can be more and more challenging to maintain a home, let alone a sense of community. Joining a senior living community is a good way to bolster community support and build a framework to maintain it as you grow and needs increase.
Joining a senior living community can offer numerous benefits when it comes to community support. Some of those benefits include:
- Assistance with housework, repairs, and other cumbersome tasks
- Support with cooking and maintaining a balanced diet
- Shared meals offering mealtime companions and conversation
- Dedicated times and spaces for exercise
- Neighbors who are close at hand
- A dedicated ride when you need it without having to rely on friends’ schedules
- Reduced demands on time and energy so that there is more of both to devote to thriving relationships
- Peer support from people who are experiencing similar life changes
No matter the reason for joining, most people find that joining a senior living community increases their sense of community support thereby enhancing well-being.
When exploring senior living communities it’s important to get a sense of the type of community support available. It is crucial to get a sense of the other people who make up the community in order to find the right type of community for your individual needs and preferences.
Contact Summer’s Landing Today
Summer’s Landing is known for its strong familial atmosphere and creating a sense of community among residents. We combine affordability with exceptional care. We even offer shaded jack-n-jill rooms with shared bathrooms that are highly cost-effective and lend to a strong sense of community.
Join us in the robust community of Summer’s Landing. Reach out today at 850.265.9829 to learn more.