It’s common knowledge that developing a regular exercise routine and eating a well-balanced diet can help you live longer and happier. However, experts say that strengthening creative muscles can also help improve the overall health of older adults—so arts and crafts can be considered essential activities for seniors. Looking for an assisted living community with arts and crafts activities for seniors in Florida? Contact Summer’s Landing today by calling 833.770.0414 or reaching out to our team online.
Can Older Adults Still Enjoy and Learn How to Make Arts and Crafts?
Learning how to make arts and crafts may often be thought of as something children and young adults enjoy, but older adults may also find these activities entertaining and relaxing. Activities such as drawing and journaling can feel challenging but rewarding, and they lower stress levels.
Many forms of arts and crafts can even be used as therapy techniques for seniors to encourage communication and empathy. Crafting is more than a hobby used to fill time, and engaging in arts and crafts has several benefits for older adults, such as the following:
- Helps boost self-esteem: Crafting and making art requires consistency and concentration, especially when working on a long-term project. After a project like this, the effort put into creating something produces a sense of accomplishment and pride.
- Encourages communication: Art is the expression of thoughts in a visual format. Capturing emotions through art can help older adults work through their feelings and allow them to better communicate with others.
- Enhances fine motor skills: Using tools and manipulating materials promotes blood flow through the body—especially in the arms, hands, and fingers. Arts and crafts for seniors can help reduce joint pain, especially rheumatoid arthritis. These activities can also ease emotional stress, which can also result in chronic bodily pain.
- Improves mood: When you do something satisfying or pleasurable, your brain releases dopamine which acts as a natural antidepressant. Whether you’re creating something from nothing or learning how to work with your hands, dopamine is released and protects you from feelings of depression.
- Increases empathy: Just looking at art can help improve someone’s critical thinking skills and create joy. Observing other people’s art can help older adults to understand other people’s ideas and feelings, respect differing opinions, and view the world in ways they may not have considered. When you embrace art, you increase your ability to empathize with others.
- Promotes socialization: Untreated loneliness and isolation can cause serious health consequences in older adults, including cognitive decline and depression. However, arts and crafts for seniors provide an opportunity to engage with others. Socialization like this, along with exercising creativity, can help enrich your quality of life.
- Protects against neurological decline: Crafting activates several different areas of the brain, which ultimately strengthens memory, problem-solving abilities, and processing thoughts. When you spend time in a stimulating environment, it increases your brain’s ability to become flexible and adaptable.
What Are Some Arts and Crafts Activities for Seniors?
Arts and crafts for seniors can be a great way to socialize, strengthen creative muscles, and reap the health benefits of creativity. The great thing is that there are so many arts and crafts activities to try, and there has to be at least one that you will enjoy taking part in.
For Those with Limited Dexterity
Older adults with arthritis or other dexterity issues may find it difficult to grab objects and control them. In cases like this, some easy crafts activities may be ideal, such as:
- Starting on a decoupage project
- Taking pictures
- Working with polymer clay
For Those with Limited Vision
Creativity is still possible with limited vision, and the following arts activities may be ideal:
- Making a collage
For Those with Limited Cognitive Capabilities
Staying physically and mentally engaged is essential for those with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia. Easy activities with simple and concise instructions are ideal, such as the following:
- Arranging flowers
- Creating homemade musical shakers
- Decorating cards for loved ones
When Should You Consider an Assisted Living Community?
An assisted living community can provide a comfortable and enjoyable residence for a senior that wishes to remain independent and live alone. If this sounds like you, then you should definitely consider it.
Besides dining and housekeeping services, residents of communities like this also typically have access to 24-hour medical care and medication management services, not to mention arts and crafts activities and other social and recreational events for the entire community.
Ready To Learn More About Summer’s Landing?
If you’re searching for an assisted living community with arts and crafts activities for seniors in Florida, contact Summer’s Landing today. Call 833.770.0414 or reach out to our team online.