It is perfectly natural for the adult children of seniors to ask themselves, “Does my parent need assisted living?” But the fact that this thought is natural does not make it easy. The truth is, the transition into assisted living services is a major one. But it is also one that relieves a great deal of strain on both you and your parent or parents. Luckily, a community like Summer’s Landing of Lynn Haven, FL exists not only to provide seniors with the services they need to stay mentally and physically active but also to assist them as they need.
Learn more about Summer Landing’s assisted living program online or by calling 850.265.9829 today.
Does My Parent Need Assisted Living?
A minor memory lapse here and there or the occasional loss of balance is to be expected as we get older. It is a part of the aging process. But adult children can have trouble seeing the whole picture, especially when they do not live with their parents. If you are worried that your parent needs senior living services, the following might be an indication that it’s time to look into getting help:
- Do they need reminders to take their medication at the correct time or dosage?
- Have they recently lost or gained weight?
- Do they appear to have lost some mobility? Are they falling more frequently?
- Have they been neglecting essential household maintenance?
- Have they lost contact with friends, or lost interest in activities they once enjoyed?
- Are you worried that they are becoming increasingly isolated?
- Are they heaving trouble performing daily tasks like cooking, paying bills, or personal grooming?
This list is by no means exhaustive, but if any of these fit the profile of your parent, it is worth reaching out to an assisted living facility like Summer’s Landing.
What Services Can an Assisted Living Program Provide?
Once you have determined that your parent is a good candidate for an assisted living program like the one at Summer’s Landing, you should understand the benefits. It is a natural temptation when dealing with aging parents to move them into your own home. This can be a dangerous proposition, especially when, as an adult child, you have so many other responsibilities. In many cases, it can lead to resentment and feelings of failure and of being overwhelmed. And in worst-case scenarios, it can be dangerous for everyone involved.
This is where an assisted living facility can be a real advantage. At Summer’s Landing, our residents live in their own private or semi-private apartments, which are either furnished or which residents and their families can furnish and decorate themselves. And our senior care services include the whole spectrum of services and amenities, including:
- Assistance with activities like bathing, dressing, eating, and toileting, as necessary
- A meal plan in our dining program to ensure that your loved one gets three nutritious meals a day
- Educational and social activities intended for maintaining mental acuity and physical health
- Round-the-clock security and nursing care, complete with emergency call systems in both private and shared spaces
- Housekeeping, maintenance, and laundry services
Additionally, we also offer programs such as medication assistance services to help your loved one receive the medication they need. At Summer’s Landing, we make a point of personalizing our care so each resident’s individuals needs are met. It’s our goal to provide your parents with the kind fo assisted living care that we would want for our own parents.
Reach Out to Summer’s Landing Today
It is never easy to face the fact that your parent may need assisted living. The realization and subsequent decision can arouse feelings of guilt and worry. And this is why at Summer’s Landing, we do our best to take those negative emotions out of the equation by offering top-quality care for seniors who need a little bit of extra help in their daily activities. If you are interested in learning more about our assisted living program or would like to tour our facility, reach out to us online or contact us at 850.265.9829.